Konnect

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Konnect, Welcome To The Konnect Community

3 posters

Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom

myke
    myke
    Green
    Green

Male Number of posts : 663
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom Empty Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom

Post by myke Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 am

well here's the start of another part of the copyright act thats gonna hit a lot of ppl.
    i hope youve never uploaded a copyrighted clip to " youtube "
    because that the new target, even the ones that have since been deleted.
    the courts have ordered them to hand over all the info regarding users IP's and clips etc.
    A U.S. judge’s order to Google Inc to turn over YouTube user data to Viacom Inc sparked an outcry on Thursday from privacy advocates in the midst of a legal showdown over video piracy. Viacom, owner of movie studio Paramount and MTV Networks, requested the information as part of its $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit against the popular online video service and its deep-pocketed parent, Google. Judge Louis Stanton of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ordered Google on Tuesday to turn over as evidence a database with usernames of YouTube viewers, what videos they watched when, and users’ computer addresses.

Privacy activists from the Electronic Frontier Foundation said in a blog post the order “threatens to expose deeply private information” and violated the Video Privacy Protection Act, a 1988 federal law passed after Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork’s video rental habits were revealed. Representatives of both companies said they were looking to work out how to comply with the court order to share video data while ensuring personally identifiable information is secure. Viacom responded in a statement that it needs the data to demonstrate video piracy patterns that are the heart of its case against YouTube. But it sought to diffuse privacy fears, saying it had no interest in identifying individual users. <--------- You gotta be kidding me. but they'll still have your IP address.

Source: Reuters
    i wonder if " veoh " will be next, hmmm,
    Bretteo
    Bretteo
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

Male Number of posts : 1017
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom Empty Re: Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom

Post by Bretteo Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:28 am

Well i naver uploaded anything there but i watched loads of movies there 10 i would have thought google video would have also been a target for them as there are loads of movies and ripped stuff there

cheers for the info MD
    myke
    myke
    Green
    Green

Male Number of posts : 663
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom Empty Re: Google ordered to hand user data to Viacom

Post by myke Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 am

no probs matey, never no, google video might be next on the line.
    as long as they leave veoh alone, i cant remember how many accounts ive got on there..
    Hybrid
    Black
    Black

Male Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2008-05-07

Post by Hybrid Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 pm

whats Viacom?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:37 am